"Take My Breath Away," "I Will Always Love You," the Star Wars theme song: these are just a few of the top songs people play to get them in the mood for making love, according to the results of a survey by online music service Spotify.
The study, released October 24, was commissioned by Spotify and carried out by music psychologist Dr. Daniel Müllensiefen from Goldsmiths, University of London among 2,000 UK participants aged between 18 and 91 years old, with an almost equal gender split.
Overall both male and female respondents voted any song from classic 1980s movie Dirty Dancing as the top music to play in the bedroom, with the power ballad "She's Like The Wind," sung by the film's leading man Patrick Swayze himself, topping the list.
Müllensiefen explained the possible reasons behind the popularity of this hit, stating "most people have a good knowledge of songs that represent romance and these tend to be from cultural references such as film. People use this music to not only communicate their intentions in a romantic situation but to directly alter the mood during an encounter."
Müllensiefen also revealed a possible reason why Swayze was also popular with men, noting "men are more likely than women to change their music tastes and listening habits in order to ensure greater success in the bedroom -- which explains the popularity of Dirty Dancing for both sexes.""
Perhaps surprisingly participants also voted "anything from the Star Wars soundtrack" as a popular choice for cozy evenings in.
Interestingly, the study also noted that one in three people could name a song they consider to be "better than sex," the most popular choice being Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."
The top 20 tracks people play while getting together are:
01. Patrick Swayze and Wendy Fraser - "She's Like The Wind"
02. Marvin Gaye - "Sexual Healing"
03. Ravel - "Bolero"
04. Berlin - "Take My Breath Away"
05. Barry White - "You See The Trouble With Me"
06. Marvin Gaye - "Let's Get It On"
07. The Righteous Brothers - "Unchained Melody"
08. Celine Dion- "My Heart Will Go On"
09. Serge Gainsbourg - "Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus"
10. Whitney Houston - "I Will Always Love You"
11. Aerosmith - "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
12. Kings Of Leon -"Sex On Fire"
13. Mary Martin- "The Sound Of Music"
14. Tchaikovsky - "1812 Overture Op.49"
15. Olivia Newton-John - "Hopelessly Devoted To You"
16. Donna Summer - "I Feel Love"
17. Boyz II Men - "I'll Make Love To You"
18. Abba - "Mamma Mia"
19. Tom Jones - "Sex Bomb"
20. John Williams - "Main Theme From Star Wars- Instrumental"
You may also like: