Exclusive Beatles Photos by Harry Benson
Growing up in Scotland, Harry Benson dreamed of being a soccer goalkeeper. Instead, he ended up doing freelance photography covering everything from crime scenes to weddings. In 1964, the night before he was leaving on an assignment for Africa, he got a call from The Daily Express, where George Harrison was writing a column, to accompany the The Beatles to Paris for a few weeks. At first he says he "wasn't happy about it," but soon after, he knew he had been given the job of a lifetime.
Benson recalls he wasn't pushing to be the band's best friend, so they ended up hitting it off naturally and developing a trusting relationship. The result was some of the most intimate, relaxed images of The Beatles ever captured including their famous hotel pillow fight and the "Beatlemania" that ensued during their first visit to the United States. These images and more, some of which have never been published, all with Benson's recollections, are included in a collector's limited edition volume by Taschen available May 30, 2012.
By Sarah B. Weir, Shine staff writer
Today on Yahoo
- Date without the pressure of hooking up: Peekawoo is the app for you Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:51 PM PHT
- The pursuit of happy-ness: Liz Uy's beauty secret Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:24 PM PHT
- You are what you eat: 6 ways to eat mindfully Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Mon, Feb 23, 2015 8:31 PM PHT
- How to create an urban tropical home Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Mon, Feb 23, 2015 8:20 PM PHT
- No need to hit the drive-thru for this seasonal minty shake Associated Press - Sat, Feb 28, 2015 1:28 AM PHT
- To manage diabetes, eat breakfast like an athlete, dinner like a sloth, study suggests AFP Relax - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 10:24 PM PHT
Type 2 diabetes patients should eat a high-energy breakfast and a low-energy dinner for optimal control over their blood sugar, according to researchers hailing from Sweden and Israel who conducted a small-scale study. In the new study, published in the journal Diabetologia, they worked with eight men and 10 women who have lived with type 2 diabetes for less than 10 years. Ten of the 18 participants were being treated with a combination of diet advice and the drug metformin and the remaining …
- Femininity gets a rethink during Milan Fashion Week Associated Press - 12 hours ago
- NYC, Orthodox Jews reach deal on circumcision suction ritual Associated Press - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 9:37 AM PHT