Exclusive Beatles Photos by Harry Benson
Growing up in Scotland, Harry Benson dreamed of being a soccer goalkeeper. Instead, he ended up doing freelance photography covering everything from crime scenes to weddings. In 1964, the night before he was leaving on an assignment for Africa, he got a call from The Daily Express, where George Harrison was writing a column, to accompany the The Beatles to Paris for a few weeks. At first he says he "wasn't happy about it," but soon after, he knew he had been given the job of a lifetime.
Benson recalls he wasn't pushing to be the band's best friend, so they ended up hitting it off naturally and developing a trusting relationship. The result was some of the most intimate, relaxed images of The Beatles ever captured including their famous hotel pillow fight and the "Beatlemania" that ensued during their first visit to the United States. These images and more, some of which have never been published, all with Benson's recollections, are included in a collector's limited edition volume by Taschen available May 30, 2012.
By Sarah B. Weir, Shine staff writer
Today on Yahoo
- Date without the pressure of hooking up: Peekawoo is the app for you Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:51 PM PHT
- Young girl's story may lead Idaho to approve marijuana oil Associated Press - Mon, Mar 2, 2015 3:15 AM PHT
- The pursuit of happy-ness: Liz Uy's beauty secret Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:24 PM PHT
- 7 Diet Hacks You Need To Try Now Realbuzz - 17 hours ago
- No need to hit the drive-thru for this seasonal minty shake Associated Press - Sat, Feb 28, 2015 1:28 AM PHT
- Tourism thrives in Malaysia despite association with tragedy Associated Press - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 10:32 AM PHT
- Leg-Toning Exercises For Perfect Pins In 30 Days Realbuzz - Mon, Mar 2, 2015 5:00 PM PHT
- Femininity gets a rethink during Milan Fashion Week Associated Press - Sun, Mar 1, 2015 5:59 AM PHT