Shrimp paste, or bagoong, is a typical ingredient of Southeast Asian cooking and the local bagoong is found in many of our dishes. Although some people are a bit turned off by its appearance and smell, bagoong’s distinct flavor brings a savory punch to any Pinoy recipe. I love pork binagoongan, and this recipe came about when I dated someone who, due to religious reasons, could not have pork in his diet. So I replaced the pork with chicken and added a few other things to make it my own.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 4 people
• ¼ kilo boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks or strips
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 small red onion, chopped
• Handful of green beans, roughly sliced
• Bagoong, to taste (start with one teaspoon and build up from there)
• Pepper, to taste
• 2 Tablespoons honey, more if needed
• Handful of fresh cilantro, divided in two
• Saute garlic and onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until soft but not toasted.
• Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or so or until cooked through.
• Add beans, bagoong and pepper. Make sure to coat everything in bagoong.
• Add honey, then toss. Taste and make adjustments if needed.
• Throw in half the fresh cilantro and mix. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with more fresh cilantro.
• Serve with hot white rice.
You might also like: Tuyo fried rice.
Honey Chicken BinagoonganBy Erica Paredes for Yahoo Southeast Asia | Life of the Party – Tue, Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM PHT
Also on Yahoo
- A delicious lemon-pepper pork that should have been chicken
- Winter begs for stew. Try a simple and speedy veggie tagine
- Getting to know Belgian endive with the help of cheese
- Fresh take on Irish stew with lamb, Guinness and soda bread
- 10 fresh ideas for dressing up a basic bowl of oatmeal
- Give in to the pressure! Pressure cooking is safe and easy
Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.
Today on Yahoo
- Snoop Dogg 'drips' it like it's hot at Etam Paris pool show Associated Press - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 4:39 AM PHT
- When in Paris: Kim Kardashian and Jared Leto go platinum Associated Press - 19 hours ago
- Last Ebola patient is released in Liberia Associated Press - Fri, Mar 6, 2015 12:34 AM PHT
- 8 Things To Do Before You Hit 30 8list - Mon, Mar 2, 2015 6:41 PM PHT
- 7 Diet Hacks You Need To Try Now Realbuzz - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 5:00 PM PHT
- Second Los Angeles hospital reports 'superbug' infections Associated Press - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 10:53 AM PHT
- 5 stunners from the Geneva car show Associated Press - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 3:25 AM PHT
- Leg-Toning Exercises For Perfect Pins In 30 Days Realbuzz - Mon, Mar 2, 2015 5:00 PM PHT
My New Year's resolution is to: