By Kelsey Miller, Refinery29
.Scalpers, trademark infringement, and back-alley trading: it's your weekly cronut update. Ever sincethe crunchy confection hit NYC last month, the city has been on an ever-growing sugar high, and it's only getting crazier.
First, entrepreneurs started hawking their services on Craigslist, waiting in line and delivering cronuts for up to 40 bucks a pop. Then, a new flavor (maple-lemon glaze) arrived and the lines got even longer. What usually happens when a high-end item becomes a national trend? The knock-offs come next.
RELATED: 3 Insanely Easy Desserts To Make Right Now
All over the world, bakeries have begun to roll out their own not-exactly-cronuts to feed the curious masses: From the "doissant" in Washington, D.C.'s Chocolate Crust bakery, to the MoVida Bakery in Melbourne, Australia (they're still deciding between "croisnut" and "crodough.") Though Dominique Ansel wisely trademarked the original moniker, he's fine with imitators taking a whack at their own recipes.
And you might just be stuck trying one of the knock-offs, since Ansel has also been forced to limit the amount of cronuts sold at one time. Last week, you could buy six, but, with the onslaught of scalpers lurking outside his doors before dawn, that number has dropped to two per customer. Still, that hasn't discouraged go-getters from padding their incomes by selling cronuts on the side. One construction worker told the HuffPo he planned to clear $120 by re-selling his allotment. He adds, "Tomorrow, the price is double."
More from Refinery29:
YUM: Chicken Chorizo Taco With Spinach & Avocado!
Everything You Need to Know About the Juice Cleansing Craze
The Weirdest, Craziest Fad Diets Of All Time
5 Ways To Jumpstart Your Metabolism Now!
By Kelsey Miller, Refinery29
Also on Yahoo
Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.
Today on Yahoo
- Date without the pressure of hooking up: Peekawoo is the app for you Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 1:51 PM PHT
- To manage diabetes, eat breakfast like an athlete, dinner like a sloth, study suggests AFP Relax - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 10:24 PM PHT
Type 2 diabetes patients should eat a high-energy breakfast and a low-energy dinner for optimal control over their blood sugar, according to researchers hailing from Sweden and Israel who conducted a small-scale study. In the new study, published in the journal Diabetologia, they worked with eight men and 10 women who have lived with type 2 diabetes for less than 10 years. Ten of the 18 participants were being treated with a combination of diet advice and the drug metformin and the remaining …
- The pursuit of happy-ness: Liz Uy's beauty secret Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 12:24 PM PHT
- NYC, Orthodox Jews reach deal on circumcision suction ritual Associated Press - Wed, Feb 25, 2015 9:37 AM PHT
- You are what you eat: 6 ways to eat mindfully Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Mon, Feb 23, 2015 8:31 PM PHT
- How to create an urban tropical home Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Mon, Feb 23, 2015 8:20 PM PHT
- Give in to the pressure! Pressure cooking is safe and easy Associated Press - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 6:14 AM PHT
- Kendall Jenner struts for Fendi, Kate Mara cozy in Max Mara Associated Press - 5 hours ago
When I was stung by a tax scam last year, someone stole my or my wife's Social Security number and filed a false return. But the thief wasn't too … More »Forbes
In 2014, the Social Security Administration made news when it was reported that taxpayer refunds were being seized to settle decades old debts. … More »Forbes
The Government Accountability Office rates IRS identity theft refund fraud efforts as needing improvement. … More »Forbes