A bad pair of shoes can ruin a perfect outfit, but other factors come in to play when wanting to look your best. For instance, the right make-up can enhance an already beautiful ensemble, but the wrong choice can make your flawless outfit look cheap and unattractive. Attention to detail is a must if you want to look your best...and one of the most overlooked points is our fingernails. Regular manicures are essential in keeping your nails neat and tidy. The easiest way is to go to a salon and have someone do it, but for those who are saving a few pesos, or who would rather just do it themselves, here’s how:
- Douse a cotton ball with nail polish remover (Non-acetone is safer for your nails) and remove all the old polish. Make sure you get even the sides of your nails.
- File the ends of your nails with an emery board to remove all roughness and create uniformity to your nails.
- Trim your fingernails if needed. An emery board will even out your nails but if you want a more precise cut or a change of shape, you will need to trim with a nail cutter.
- Remove your cuticles. The cuticle is the soft skin that forms on the bottom of your finger and when your nails grow, your cuticle stretches along with it. In order to promote the growth of healthy nails, push back you cuticles with a cuticle stick. Make sure to stop if you see your skin becoming raw or red in color. Be gentle.
- Apply polish. Make sure you apply two coats and allow the first to dry before you add the second. You may also use quick-drying polish or a quick-drying topcoat in order to speed up the drying process.
To Color or not to color?
Women who do a lot of things involving their hands, such as cooking or art-related activities may want to leave their nails free of color as they may chip faster. For those who want color though, how do you know you are selecting the right one? A few things to consider are the length of your nails, the color of your complexion and the occasion you intend to be sporting your nails at.
- Long nails look better with clear or neutral colored polishes. A French manicure is perfect but if you prefer something with a bit more color, pick something from the red family. Never go pastel or bright because it makes a perfectly cute color look cheap. Save the cutesy shades for short nails.
- Fair-skinned girls look great in pastels while morenas can go for brights. The two skin tones share the neutrals and both look great sporting a French manicure.
- For hanging out at the beach, pool parties, or luaus, colorful nail polish is appropriate. Remember to keep your nails short and a square shape looks better than a round one.
- For job interviews, office meetings, and work-related cocktails, nude or neutral colored polishes are suitable for such occasions because you look clean and tidy without looking too trendy or frivolous.
- For a romantic date, big party, black-tie event (and depending on what color your outfit is) you can go the traditional deep and dark or update with a more modern, prettier color. Long nails are acceptable for such events, though short nails fit the bill nicely too.