American gymnast Jordyn Wieber tops Starcount's daily Olympians Chart on August 3 while British cyclist Bradley Wiggins enters the chart in fifth place.
Seventeen-year-old gymnast Jordyn Wieber has been the subject of much press attention recently after missing out on the all-around women's gymnastics final on August 2 due to a controversial ruling. The story of Wieber's heartbreak has been gathering momentum in the press and has pushed her to the top of Starcount's Olympic athletes social media rankings on August 3, up one place from her position yesterday.
Entering the chart today is cyclist Bradley Wiggins, who recently became the most decorated British Olympian in history after winning a gold medal in the time trials. In addition to his Olympic achievements, Wiggins has also been grabbing headlines after calling for cycling helmets to be made compulsory in the UK.
The top ten athletes on Starcount's Olympians Chart on Friday, August 3 (change in position from yesterday indicated in parentheses):
01. Jordyn Wieber (American - gymnastics) (+1)
02. Tom Daley (British - diving) (+1)
03. Michael Phelps (American - swimming) (-2)
04. McKayla Maroney (American - gymnastics) (+1)
05. Bradley Wiggins (British - cycling) (new entry)
06. Ryan Lochte (American - swimming) (-2)
07. Alexandra Raisman (new entry)
08. Gabrielle Douglas (American - gymnastics) (+2)
09. Nathan Adrian (American - swimming) (new entry)
10. Marcel Nguyen (German gymnastics) (new entry)
Social media monitoring site Starcount amalgamates social media data from across the world's 11 global social media platforms and then applies an algorithm to create a chart of social media popularity. See http://www.starcount.com/ for more details.