It’s the season for backyard fiestas, barbecues and pool parties. Whether you’re having family over, entertaining your kids’ friends or inviting the neighbors for a casual night of cocktails, dressing up your home to fit the festive air of summer can be fun.
Creating a tablescape, adorning your home with fresh flowers and putting on some music can instantly turn your party into an occasion more festive than it already is.
Here are a few décor tips for your next big to-do and celebrate summer before we bid it adieu.
1. Decorate your drinks.
- To your glasses, add cocktail umbrellas, bright fruit slices and colored ice cubes made out of juice or punch.
- Make easy, DIY coasters. Draw or print out some quirky sunshine-themed graphics on heavyweight boards and laminate them for reusable table accessories you can bring out each year.
2. Trim your ceiling.
- Cut up some triangular flags in a palette that pleases you—construction paper brights for a Mexican-themed bash or pretty pastels for an afternoon tea party—and clip them to a piece of string you can drape across your ceiling. Crisscrossing festive flags indoors is a no-fuss way of bringing the outdoors in and creating that backyard atmosphere indoors, rain or shine.
- Paper lanterns are also a fun option. Hanging various sizes on different lengths can create delicate chandeliers at a budget-friendly cost.
3. Top up your table.
- Create a picnic-themed party, whether indoors or outside, by using a traditional red-and-white gingham fabric as a tablecloth. Paired with paper placemats and floral centerpieces arranged in mini-wicker baskets or reused soda bottles, they can create the perfect casual barbecue setting at home.
- Another ubiquitous summer theme is the beach. Adding a nautical-striped table runner, some red, white and blue napkins and message-in-a-bottle centerpieces can offer a different spin on a much-loved theme.