Bride wearing bridal makeup
Wedding makeup artist tip 1: The basics
If you’re in the process of searching for a bridal makeup artist then our top advice is to try and find one by recommendation. Ask married friends, your photographer, your hairdresser or you can request a suppliers list from the wedding venue. Or you could always use our forums to ask other brides. Once you’ve found two or three makeup artists with a promising portfolio, contact them to obtain a quote and to check their availability. makeup artist fees can vary and will be dependent on their experience, products and their location in relation to you. Do find out which makeup products the artist uses, as a good one should carry premium brands to ensure makeup longevity and a professional looking finish.
Once you have found the right makeup artist you should book a makeup trial. A trial is recommended for a number of reasons; so you can get to know the makeup artist, discuss requirements and make sure the look created is right. Plus, it’s a great experience and gives you the opportunity to pick up a few beauty tips. Bridal makeup trials should usually take a couple of hours and are normally carried out around 4-8 weeks prior to the wedding date. Some handy hints here are to book your trial for the morning so you have the whole day to road test your makeup. Also, book your hair trial for the same day so you can see the wedding look as a whole.
Wedding makeup artist tip 3: What to expect
A makeup artist should always carry out a consultation before any makeup application commences. The makeup specialist will ask questions about the look you want them to create and about your skin type so they can select appropriate products for your skin’s needs. Once you have had your makeover, this is your opportunity to give feedback – don’t be shy, ladies. Be sure to express exactly what you want for your wedding day. At the end of your trial your makeup artist will document the products and techniques used so they can recreate the perfect look on your wedding day.
Wedding makeup artist tip 3: Check list
Some brides might panic in the last stages of wedding planning and haphazardly contact the first makeup artist they come across. Perhaps they’ve had a run-in with their rouge or a bust-up with their bronzer and they seek professional help in a hurry. However, something so important shouldn’t be rushed into. Keep the following pointers in mind before you hand over your cash, and your complexion!
A skilled and professional makeup artist…
- Has the skills and professional products to keep your makeup looking fresh and flawless all day
- Understands how flash photography affects the appearance of makeup, therefore selects and supplies appropriate cosmetics
- Provides peace of mind and reassurance for those who lack confidence in their own appearance – they will put you at ease and assure you that you will look how you intend to
- Saves you time and money in researching and sourcing your own cosmetics
- Gives you professional one-to-one advice during your makeup trial, helping achieve the most from your beauty and skincare regime
- Is a useful member of the wedding team; a good makeup artist will not stop at the makeup. They will assist with buttonholes, dresses and fascinators where needed
- Is great for calming last minute nerves and will put any concerns at ease
- Provides an enjoyable pampering treatment so the bride can sit and relax
Wedding makeup artist tip 5: Still unsure about booking a makeup artist?
Another option to be considered is booking a makeup lesson. A lesson will help improve your confidence when applying makeup and you can receive the right advice and guidance about products to purchase – this is a great idea for those getting married abroad. One of the main reasons brides are apprehensive about using a makeup artist is because they’re concerned about too much makeup being applied or worrying they won’t look like themselves. Combat these worries by doing it yourself, with the help of a professional. Plus, the skills you acquire will be handy for your honeymoon, family occasions and beyond! Read more on getwed.com...
Every bride's guide to all things wedding
Tips for flawless wedding makeup
All the bridal beauty tips you need to know