Every year, we come up with a list of things we want to change about ourselves, especially during the start of a new year. Often, resolutions never go past the first two or three months because some people just give up, or simply forget what they promised a few months before.
Perhaps a way to succeed in keeping your resolutions is to make sure they are realistic and achievable. Baby steps will help make it easier to stick to your goals.
Related: How to keep your New Year's resolutions
In the coming year, here are a few simple beauty resolutions that can make a world of difference:
1. Wash your make-up off every night. No excuses! Even if you are coming from a crazy night out with your friends, promise yourself that you will never sleep with your make-up on. Not only will you look horrible the next morning, with panda eyes and streaky lipstick, it is also bad for your skin. Bacteria and oil can build up on your face, allowing blemishes and zits to form and causing other skin issues in the future.
2. Clean your make-up brushes. Even if you are not a make-up artist who uses your tools on different people and therefore needs to make sure you wash after every use, bacteria can still build on your brushes from everyday use. Make sure you wash your brushes with a baby shampoo at least once a week and lay them flat on a towel to dry overnight.
3. Keep your nails neat and tidy. We are all guilty of sometimes of leaving our nail polish on way past their prime, so make it your New Year's resolution to make sure you remove your polish at the first signs of chipping. Remember, non-polished nails that are cut and cleaned look better than chipped nails!
4. Retouch your roots. Even the ombre look (dark-to-light hair color) is carefully planned out so if you are going to color your hair a significantly lighter or darker shade, make sure you will have the time and resources for the upkeep.
Related: Top 10 beauty resolutions
Finally, here are two other things that seem to show up in every New Year’s resolution list. They may need a little more will power, but may prove to be doable and sustained if reframed in another way.
5. Switch to electronic cigarettes. It’s a sneaky way to say stop smoking but kicking a nicotine addiction requires a lot of help. So e-cigarettes might to do trick. Or, look to one of the many ways now available to stop this bad habit, including nicotine patches and anything that will give your lungs a break. Excessive smoking can cause bad breath, yellow teeth and fingers and a sallow complexion, and there is nothing attractive about any of that!
6. Build stamina and energy! Another way to say start working out but to make things easier for you, don't make losing weight your goal. Instead, tell yourself that you are taking care of your body and are building stamina and energy. Think of how good you will feel, and the weight loss is secondary, but will also be very visible if you stay consistent.
More like this:
Happy new looks for 2013
Nail the perfect pedicure
6 top make-up essentials
Guide to age-appropriate make-up
6 simple beauty resolutions for 2013By Erica Paredes, Hippie In High Heels | Yahoo! SHE – Mon, Dec 31, 2012 8:15 AM PHT
Also on Yahoo
- As Pantone Unveil ‘Radiant Orchid’ As The Official Colour for 2014 We Check …
- We Try Out Blow LTD's Fast New Beauty Salon
- How You Can Form Good Habits and Stick to Them
- 5 of the best beauty gifts under P500
- How To Make Him "Kilig"
- 8 Questions to Ask Now and to Keep Asking in the Year Ahead
- Make-Up Artist Gucci Westman Reveals Her Top Tips For Winter Beauty: E …
- E-Cigarettes Just More Smoke and Mirrors, Doctors Say
- Campaigners say BP's $4.5bn oil spill fine not enough
- Dutch sound alarm about possible risks of e-cigarettes
Editor’s note:Yahoo Philippines encourages responsible comments that add dimension to the discussion. No bashing or hate speech, please. You can express your opinion without slamming others or making derogatory remarks.
Today on Yahoo
- Yahoo Southeast Asia SHE - Mon, Dec 9, 2013 11:22 PM PHT
- AFP Relax - 21 hours ago
A holiday video campaign from a no-frills Canadian carrier has gone viral for making the Christmas wishes of a plane full of unsuspecting flyers come true. Just a day after being uploaded on December 9, the heartwarming video from WestJet has received more than 1.2 million hits on YouTube for pulling off an impressive feat while passengers were in-flight between Toronto and Calgary. After scanning their boarding passes, passengers were put in touch with a live Santa who called out children …
- AFP Relax - Sat, Dec 7, 2013 1:20 AM PHT
Saudi Arabia launched a new tourist visa program this week that allows foreigners to visit the kingdom’s tourist and historical sites. Announced out of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities earlier this year, visitors are now able to apply for a tourist visa under the Extended Umrah Tourism Programme and stay in the country for up to 30 days. According to the Saudi Gazette, foreigners from 65 countries will be eligible for the new tourist visa. Saudi Arabia is home to two of the …
- Healthy Living - Tue, Dec 10, 2013 1:16 AM PHT
It's the same struggle every year. You walk into a holiday party and you're greeted by the hostess, who encourages you to dig into the huge spread of tasty hors d'oeuvres. But how can you enjoy the evening without going overboard? It is possible! By focusing on popular party snacks that have health-boosting benefits, you can savor the season and drop pounds. Photo by iStock. …
- Healthy Living - Thu, Dec 5, 2013 3:31 AM PHT
To set the record straight, we asked Equinox advisory board member and sleep expert James B. Maas, Ph.D., author of Sleep for Success!, to dispel five of the most common falsehoods. Do that one or more times a week and not only will your sleep deficit increase, but you'll risk the associated weight gain and memory loss issues. …
Holiday season has arrived! What eats are you most looking forward to having this season?