Packing your own lunch is a great way to save money and stay healthy. And if you want something quick and easy to eat, sandwiches are the way to go. Here are five lunch ideas that will keep both your palate and tummy happy.
1. Grilled Cheese, Tomato and Basil. Simple, healthy and packed with flavor. This sandwich can be grilled at home before hand or ingredients can be brought separately, assembled at the office and toasted in the pantry. Use plain sliced cheese or be a bit more adventurous and head to the deli and pick one you've never tried before!
2. Tuna Pita Melt. Instead of your plain old tuna sandwich, try mixing a bit of dijon mustard, onions and paprika to your tuna salad, and stuff in a pita pocket instead of sliced bread. Tuck in a slice or two of cheese, some arugula and top off with micro greens.
3. Peanut Butter, Cream Cheese and Jelly. Put a twist on the usual PB&J by adding a thick layer of cream cheese. It will go beautifully with strawberry jam and crunchy peanut butter.
4. Shredded Adobo and Kesong Puti. Shred leftover adobo and pan fry until crispy. Add kesong puti to bread, top with adobo and a small touch of honey for a gourmet lunchtime treat.
5. Grilled Vegetable Panini. Put sliced tomato, zucchini, yellow peppers, onions and mushrooms on a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Roast until wilted, or about 30 minutes. Mix veggies together and leave in the fridge until ready to use the next day. Build your sandwich and toast. Works great even without a panini press.
Have a question for Erica? Drop her a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Erica Paredes has been working in the publishing industry for almost a decade as a fashion and beauty editor, newspaper columnist, stylist and make-up artist. Nowadays she juggles her time between food and fashion, beauty and travel plus mommy duties to her 8 year old daughter.